I would love to travel but I don’t have money.
Where have I heard it before? There are two major reasons people think they can’t travel as much as they would like to. The first one we talked about was time (to travel and plan). The second one is money.
I am a PhD student and I don’t have unlimited money. But I love to travel. and so the problem arises! To answer that problem, let’s look into where we can cut-some-off in our daily life. (And no! Rubbing the elf’s nose or head or anything does not solve this! Been there! Done that!).
- Monthly deposit: If you are even a bit like me (Princess on salary day and pauper five days afterwards), this option works the best! Always put aside a small amount of money from every salary in your travel account. Be it a small amount. Just be regular about it. Additionally you can also have a change bag where you just put all the change lying around the house. Money and cleaning at the same time! You sneaky little Rockstar 😀
- Book in advance: I always book my international flights at least 2 months in advance and domestic flights at least 1 month in advance. Always check multiple comparing options (my favorite is Skyscanner) before buying a ticket.
- Cancel gym and other useless monthly transactions: Don’t get me wrong. If you are into regular gym and other clubs, just skip this point. But if you are like me (Come on! Don’t tell me I am the only one subscribing for all these gym memberships and sports club, going there four times and then just paying for it for an year! Please tell me there are more people like these. Okay! I am embarrassed now.), understand yourself and stop wasting money! Put it in your travel account. And again the disclaimer: If you use these services : very well. But if you don’t, no point in wasting money!
- Subscribe for loyalty programs: Various group of airlines provide loyalty membership which offers lounge access and credits for number of mile covered during the flying time (for example: Miles and more). If you have a preferred airlines network, it pays back to get the loyalty card and collect the credits. These credits can then be used for free travel or upgrading!
- Be flexible: There are so many different places to travel. We had about 5-6 places in or mind for the last long weekend and hence it was easier to choose. Cheapest option! If you have many options in your kitty, you can always go for the best one at that time.
- Accommodation expenses: AirBnB (sign up using this link to get free joining credit!) is my favorite choice these days. Not only it is cheaper than hotels, the place provides much homely and local feeling. And you always have a host to contact when you need something or to have some nice “local suggestions”. If you are going alone or would rather like to meet lots of new people, hostels are the way to go!
- “Off-season” travel: We went to Iceland during its “off-season” and we could not be happier! First of all, I don’t believe in the whole concept of on-off seasons. Every place I have ever been to offers something in every weather. These “off-seasons” are good to visit a place uncrowded and getting cheap offers for flights and accommodations (even tours!). For example, I have been to Paris 4 times so far and my waiting times for Eiffel tower has ranged between 1 min to 3 hours! yes! 3 Hours because we went there between Christmas and December : a very popular holiday time! Avoid any hugely touristic place that time.
- Saving on books and other hobbies (Kindle and second hand books!): My love for books is not a secret now! If you like books as well and read many of them per month or year then it is better to know ways to save some money on them. I already mentioned before: Go for a Kindle! I know it is a bit expensive but you will totally get it back in terms of what you will save from the cheaper e-books! And they are easier to travel with! Get yours now!
If you still don’t want kindle, don’t worry! You can still buy second had books! They are also cheaper AND they help recycle and hence save paper! Amazon offer second books as well in most of the countries.
9. Sign up for flight offers and notifications: You can sign up on different airlines websites to get alerts about nice flight offers.
So just put your travel shoes on and go ahead! Trust me, traveling is more about planning the trip right. It is your hard earned money. Spend it where you think it is worth!
Have fun and enjoy the weekend! Feel free to comment, like, share and subscribe if you liked my post 🙂
Lots of love,
Want to recieve our weekend itineraries?
Subscribe to get FREE weekend itineraries and updates directly in your email.