Imagine a city with Swiss beauty and Italian lifestyle. That means beautiful landscape AND soul pleasing food. Cheese AND olives. Chocolates AND tiramisu. The dream city that comes close to this perfect mix is Lugano.
Lugano is a city in Ticino region (Italian speaking) of Switzerland and is famous for its swiss-mediterranean lifestyle. It is a small city (or you may call it a big town :D) and is perfectly located on the northern shore of lake Lugano.
This lake serves as a border between southern Switzerland and northern Italy, which also explains the Swiss-Mediterranean lifestyle.
Stunned? Have a look at Lake Maggiore. Another gem!
Surrounded by these huge mountains, Lugano is also favorite for hikers, bikers and adventure enthusiasts!
Food is one of the main reasons I liked Lugano. Good wine, lip smacking pizzas and perfect coffee!
One of the best things about Lugano is: It is still very local. As most of the tourists are busy with Matterhorn, Interlaken, Rhine-falls, Jungfrau and Zurich, it is still very original and unexplored. Weather is quite sunny and warm most of the year.
- Have a walk in the city. As I said already, the city is very small. You can basically walk through the city in few hours! The old town is very beautiful with a combination of Swiss and Italian architectures of buildings and houses.
- Lugano is a quiet city. I didn’t find much in terms of nightlife and parties! So, if you want to go somewhere with amazing nightlife, it is not the best option! Check out my article on Lausanne for a different and more vibrant Swiss city!
- If you want to go to Italy, Milan is like 40-50 minutes by local transport. Also nearby is Lake Como (in Italy), which is also known for its beauty and vibrant neighborhood.
- If you are traveling by train (to/from Zurich), the route is spectacular! Don’t miss it!
- Shopping is also highly recommended. Although somewhat expensive, Lugano is one of the most stylish cities of Switzerland. I found a huge number of local boutiques that are so unique about their style.
- Remember that it is one of the most expensive regions of Switzerland. You can easily pay a lot for food and drinks. So, keep an eye on how much you are spending. As I said, budgets are important!.
All-in all, Lugano is a nice and quite city which can be ideal for holidays if you like quiet family places. Most of the locals still go to Lake Como (20-25 min by car) for refreshments and Milan for shopping. I was in Lugano for about 2-2.5 days and I think it was enough to explore the city. So, if you have a weekend free and want to spend it quietly somewhere in the lap of nature, Lugano is the place for you!
Want to recieve our weekend itineraries?
Subscribe to get FREE weekend itineraries and latest updates in your email.