Freiburg (also known as Freiburg im Breisgau) is a cute little city near the mighty Black forest in Germany. Being so close to the Black forest it serves a perfect base for visiting different parts of the forest for hiking, mountain sports or just relaxing. It is quite popular among the locals for the same reasons.
Apart from being proximal from Black forest, Freiburg itself is a beautiful city. With colorful houses, narrow cobbled streets and locals humming around, it is a quite lively city and offers a fantastic weekend break. Not convinced yet? See the pictures below.
1. Have you ever seen a building this charming? with flowery balconies and windows!
2. or a street this walk-worthy!
3. Of course, there was beer.
4. and more beer!
5. and more people drinking more beer in beautiful beer gardens!
6. Streets would never be the same after walking on this piece of heaven!
7. This drool-worthy original black forest cake (Schwarzwald kuechen)
8. How many times do you come across a church this huge and spooky?
9. Or such a popping out red building
10. Or this array of beautifully lined colorful houses
Freiburg is so pretty and cozy that one just cannot help falling in love with it. Pretty trams along the narrow streets are the main transport in the city. It is an Eco-city and most of the regions of the city showcase sustainable living. The separate pedestrian and biking pathways are heavily used by locals, almost abandoning cars in the city center.
This advanced yet surreal Freiburg impressed me a lot. If you haven’t been there yet, you should definitely give it a visit. If you have, let me know how your experience was in the comments below.
Did you like the article? Pin it for later read.
You deserve this travel break!
After a hard week of work, you deserve this break. Get our destination guides, weekend travel guides and all the travel hacks in your email.