Eze village is a small village near Nice in French Riviera in the southeast of France. Famous for its perfumes, Mediterranean cuisine and stunning views over the Mediterranean sea, it is a treat for all your senses. It is perfect for both a day trip from Nice/Monaco or stopping by when traveling between them.
The scenic route: day tour from Nice
The journey from Nice to Eze is stunning. You get to enjoy views like these during the bus ride of about an hour. You can also take the train, which is faster but we recommend the scenic bus ride!
The Eze village
This charming village is on the hilltop and is quite famous for its romantic views. That is why this small village attracts lots of couples. The narrow streets are full of local artisan soaps, perfumes and other fancy household products. There are many art galleries as well. Locals from the neighborhood often call it a ‘museum village’ for the same reason. Though we are not fans of crowds and often head over to the opposite direction, just a stopover, on our way to Monaco, was the perfect way to enjoy the views without being lost in the crowd.
Make your own perfume at Galimard Perfumery
Yes! You read it right. You can make your own perfume at the Galimard perfumery. Actually, it is not as fancy as it sounds. they already have 6-8 different strong perfumes and you just mix and match two or three of them to get yours. It costs 10 euros, but if you have the French Riviera pass, it is for free. And yes, we got ours for free as they were included in the pass! The perfumery also offers a free guided tour every day. They also have a small museum showing different stages of making perfume from historical times till now. We liked the perfumes a lot and ended up buying many of them from the shop. That is the point of their free guided tour I guess 😀
Exotic garden and views
Once you have visited the perfumery, just walk through the village uphill to the Jardin Exotique d’Èze (The exotic garden) for mind-blowing views over the Mediterranean sea.
- Eze and Eze-Sur-Mer are two different bus stops. When coming from Nice, make sure to take the bus to Eze village. Otherwise, you have to get down at Eze-Sur-Mer and take another bus from there to the village (about 20 minutes). If you take the train, you will again have to get down at Eze-Sur-Mer and then take the bus to the village
- Although both train and bus are available from Nice/Monaco to Eze, We personally recommend the bus for multiple reasons. First and foremost, fantastic views (Take right side seats and thank us later :D) Second, if you have French Riviera pass, your journey by bus is free. Even if you don’t have the pass, journey by bus is cheaper than the train ticket! Train, of course, is faster but you need to change to the bus at Eze-Sur-Mer anyways!
- We have mentioned the French Riviera pass again and again. Seriously, I cannot recommend it enough! We bought the card for three days and got almost thrice the value of the what we paid. If you buy it already at the airport, get the transport card with it as well and enjoy the bus/tram rides for free in Nice and most of the French Riviera region. Just for Eze, we got free bu ride and free entry to make-your-own-perfume (worth 10 Euros) and the Exotic garden (worth 6 euros).
- Eze is about half way between Nice and Monaco. So you can also make a stop here when traveling between Nice and Monaco.
- Wear comfortable shoes if you want to walk uphill and enjoy the exotic garden.
Do you find the article interesting? Pin it for later read
You deserve this travel break!
After a hard week of work, you deserve this break. Get our destination guides, weekend travel guides and all the travel hacks in your email.